Individual instruction for academic credit (private lessons) in piano (classical), woodwind, brass, percussion, string instruments, jazz instruments, and voice is available to all University students regardless of major. Music majors are given priority for all lessons instructors, and music minors and non-majors are also welcome, based on the availability of the faculty.
Less experienced students may consider the Department’s group lessons in guitar, piano, and voice (also for course credit). (Please note, however, that we do not normally offer applied lessons to beginners on a given instrument, and that lessons require an ability to read musical notation fluently.)
Registration for all applied lessons is by permission of instructor (or audition). Instructor contacts and registration procedures are outlined below. When registering on ConnectCarolina, please be sure to correctly select 0.5 credits for 30-minute lessons or 1.0 credits for 50-minute lessons (please note that all 100-level lessons must be 1.0 credit hour).
Types of Lessons
The Department offers four types of applied lessons: individual lessons at the 1XX level (0.5 or 1.0 credit hours), 2XX level (2.0 credit hours), and 3XX level (3.0 credit hours); and group lessons (1.0 credit hour) at the 1XX level. (Full details are available in the Undergraduate Bulletin.) Individual lessons instructors will assign students to the appropriate level of lessons based on their degree program and musical proficiency.
Group 1XX Lessons
Group applied lessons are designed for less experienced performers desiring to expand their proficiency in a particular instrument or voice. Students enroll in these 1XX level lessons for 1.0 credit hour, and group lessons meet once per week for 90 minutes. Presently, group lessons are offered in guitar, piano, and voice.
1XX Level Lessons
Lessons at the 1XX level are generally taken by music majors pursuing the B.A. degree, music minors, and non-majors. Students may enroll for 1XX lessons for 0.5 or 1.0 credit hours, subject to instructor availability.
2XX Level Lessons
Lessons at the 2XX level are generally taken by music majors pursuing the B.M. degree and appropriately qualified students pursuing the B.A. degree or music minor. Students enroll in 2XX lessons for 2.0 credit hours, which encompasses a weekly one-hour lesson as well as a weekly studio class. B.M. students normally enroll for eight semesters of 2.0 credit lessons on their main instrument.
3XX Level Lessons
3XX level lessons are reserved for students pursuing the B.M. or B.A. degree who wish to include a recital in their applied study. Students enroll in 3XX lessons for 3.0 credit hours. 3XX lessons substitute for 2XX lessons in the recital semester, and may be taken in up to two semesters during a student’s degree program. Lessons at the 3XX level have a prerequisite of six hours of the equivalent MUSC 2XX course.
Applied Lessons Registration
All students enrolling for applied lessons must do so during the regular University registration period at the beginning of each semester. Students desiring to register for lessons should complete the following steps.
- Acquire permission from the appropriate instructor or area head. A list of appropriate contacts for each instrument is available below. (For piano and voice, permission to enroll for lessons is acquired via an audition process during the first week of classes.)
- After receiving instructor approval, register for your applied lesson course on Connect Carolina. Note that applied lesson courses are arranged in sections by instructor, and students should be sure to enroll with the correct instructor. Please be sure to correctly select 30-minute (0.5) or 50-minute lessons (1.0).
Separate fees beyond normal tuition are required for private instruction. These fees are the cost per semester, and are billed by the Department Registrar at the end of registration each semester. Unless otherwise requested, applied lesson fees are billed to your student account. There are no refunds for applied lessons. Prices are effective Fall 2023.
- $525 – one-hour private lesson per week
$287 – half-hour private lesson per week
- $425 – 90-minute group lesson each week
Faculty Contacts for Applied Instruction
- Banjo: Hank Smith
- Bass (Classical): Leonid Finkelshteyn
- Bass (Jazz): Jason Foureman
- Bassoon: Jessica Kunttu
- Cello: Brent Wissick
- Clarinet: Donald Oehler
- Drumset: Dan Davis
- Euphonium: Mike Kris
- Fiddle: Tatiana Hargreaves
- Flute: Laura Stevens
- Guitar: William Stewart
- Guitar (Bluegrass): Russell Johnson
- Guitar (Jazz): JC Martin
- Harp: Laura Byrne
- Horn: Rachel Niketopoulos
- Mandolin: Russell Johnson
- Oboe: Anna Lampidis
- Percussion: Juan Álamo
- Piano (Classical): Clara Yang (please consult )
- Piano (Jazz): Stephen Anderson
- Saxophone (Classical): Heidi Radtke
- Saxophone (Jazz): Rahsaan Barber
- Trombone: Mike Kris
- Trumpet: TBD (contact Area Head Juan Álamo)
- Tuba: Mike Kris
- Viola: Simon Ertz
- Violin: Nicholas DiEugenio
- Voice (music majors): Jeanne Fischer
- Voice (minor/non-major):