Individual instruction for academic credit (private lessons) in piano (classical), organ, woodwind, brass, percussion, string instruments, and voice is available to all University students regardless of major. Music majors are given priority for all lessons instructors, and music minors and non-majors are also welcome, based on the availability of the faculty.
Less experienced students may consider the Department’s group lessons in guitar, piano, and voice (also for course credit). (Please note, however, that we do not normally offer applied lessons to beginners on a given instrument, and that lessons require an ability to read musical notation fluently.)
Registration for all applied lessons is by permission of instructor (or audition). Instructor contacts and registration procedures are outlined below.
Types of Lessons
The Department offers four types of applied lessons: individual lessons at the 1XX level (0.5 or 1.0 credit hours), 2XX level (2.0 credit hours), and 3XX level (3.0 credit hours); and group lessons (1.0 credit hour) at the 1XX level. (Full details are available in the Undergraduate Bulletin.) Individual lessons instructors will assign students to the appropriate level of lessons based on their degree program and musical proficiency.
Group 1XX Lessons
Group applied lessons are designed for less experienced performers desiring to expand their proficiency in a particular instrument or voice. Students enroll in these 1XX level lessons for 1.0 credit hour, and group lessons meet once per week for 90 minutes. Presently, group lessons are offered in guitar, piano, and voice.
1XX Level Lessons
Lessons at the 1XX level are generally taken by music majors pursuing the B.A. degree, music minors, and non-majors. Students may enroll for 1XX lessons for 0.5 or 1.0 credit hours, subject to instructor availability.
2XX Level Lessons
Lessons at the 2XX level are generally taken by music majors pursuing the B.M. degree and appropriately qualified students pursuing the B.A. degree or music minor. Students enroll in 2XX lessons for 2.0 credit hours, which encompasses a weekly one-hour lesson as well as a weekly studio class. B.M. students normally enroll for eight semesters of 2.0 credit lessons on their main instrument.
3XX Level Lessons
3XX level lessons are reserved for students pursuing the B.M. or B.A. degree who wish to include a recital in their applied study. Students enroll in 3XX lessons for 3.0 credit hours. 3XX lessons substitute for 2XX lessons in the recital semester, and may be taken in up to two semesters during a student’s degree program. Lessons at the 3XX level have a prerequisite of six hours of the equivalent MUSC 2XX course.
Applied Lessons Registration
All students enrolling for applied lessons must do so during the regular University registration period at the beginning of each semester. Students desiring to register for lessons should complete the following steps.
- Acquire permission from the appropriate instructor or area head. A list of appropriate contacts for each instrument is available below. (For piano and voice, permission to enroll for lessons is acquired via an audition process during the first week of classes.)
- For students taking 1XX level individual lessons (MUSC 100-107), complete the Applied Music Lessons Form online. Careful completion of this form is pivotal to ensure accuracy in your lesson registration and billing for the applied lesson fee. The Department Registrar will register you for the appropriate course when you submit your Applied Music Lessons Form. Even so, you are responsible to confirm your registration for the appropriate course.
- For students taking 2XX and 3XX level individual lessons or 1XX group lessons (MUSC 110-112), register for your applied lesson course on Connect Carolina. Note that applied lesson courses are arranged in sections by instructor, and students should be sure to enroll with the correct instructor.
Separate fees beyond normal tuition are required for private instruction. These fees are the cost per semester, and are billed by the Department Registrar at the end of registration each semester. Unless otherwise requested, applied lesson fees are billed to your student account. There are no refunds for applied lessons. Prices are effective Fall 2022.
- $475 – one-hour private lesson per week
$237 – half-hour private lesson per week
- $425 – 90-minute group lesson each week
Faculty Contacts for Applied Instruction
- Banjo: Hank Smith
- Bass (Classical): Leonid Finkelshteyn
- Bass (Jazz): Jason Foureman
- Bassoon: Jessica Kunttu
- Cello: Brent Wissick
- Clarinet: Sara Aratake (Fall 2022, Donald Oehler on leave)
- Drumset: Dan Davis
- Euphonium: Mike Kris
- Fiddle: Tatiana Hargreaves
- Flute: Laura Stevens
- Guitar: William Stewart
- Guitar (Bluegrass): Russell Johnson
- Guitar (Jazz): Keith Ganz
- Harp: Laura Byrne
- Horn: Rachel Niketopoulos
- Mandolin: Russell Johnson
- Oboe: Anna Lampidis
- Percussion: McKayla Phillips (Fall 2022, Juan Álamo on leave)
- Piano: Clara Yang (please consult )
- Piano (Jazz): Stephen Anderson
- Saxophone (Classical): Heidi Radtke
- Saxophone (Jazz): Andrew Van Tassel (Fall 2022, Rahsaan Barber on leave)
- Trombone: Mike Kris
- Trumpet: Paul Neebe
- Tuba: Mike Kris
- Viola: Samuel Gold
- Viola: Simon Ertz
- Violin: Nicholas DiEugenio
- Voice (music majors): Jeanne Fischer
- Voice (minor/non-major):