Music at UNC-Chapel Hill
As our 200+ music majors and hundreds more non-major students could tell you, the UNC-Chapel Hill Department of Music is a unique place. We foster a diverse yet tight-knit community of internationally recognized faculty, supportive staff, and engaged students from all over the world, and our Department offers a superb musical education in the context of a top-tier research university. Studying music at UNC provides not only an excellent foundation for future musical pursuits, but also cultivates sought-after skills that undergird success in a wide variety of fields.
With multiple degree options and dozens of course offerings, the UNC Department of Music offers a wealth of musical resources for students looking to incorporate music in their educational career. Some of these include:
- a welcoming environment that offers a diverse array of courses and programming
- an attractive curriculum with two flexible undergraduate programs, a minor, and a top-rated Ph.D. program in musicology
- support for double majors to combine music with any additional area of study
- an outstanding music education that develops critical thinking skills
- an internationally recognized faculty of scholars, composers, performers, conductors, and educators
- an ambitious and intellectually curious student body
- access to the world’s best performers through Carolina Performing Arts, including such artists as the NY Philharmonic Orchestra, Yo-Yo Ma, Wynton Marsalis, and the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra
- a world-class music library
- a state of the art performance auditorium in Hill Hall
- opportunities to collaborate with faculty on research projects
- a chance to engage in high-quality music making in diverse genres through participating in classes, solos, ensembles, performances, and research
- a committed faculty focused on teaching both undergraduate and graduate students
We invite you to further explore our Department. Click on the tabs to the left for information on applying, auditioning, and scholarships; view the rest of the website; or contact us with your questions.