Friends of Music
Friends of Music at UNC-Chapel Hill is a donor and alumni network, launched in Fall 2015, that supports students in our Department of Music through donations and community. For thousands of students over eight decades, the Department of Music has afforded opportunities to engage with music in ways they never imagined. From events like the Milhaud Festival in the 1980s to 40 years of the UNC Jazz Festival, the Department has long provided students a gateway to the vibrancy of life in the arts at Carolina and beyond. Think of the gifted vocalist singing on stage for the first time, or the instrumentalist from rural North Carolina playing in a masterclass with a world-renowned guest artist. The Friends of Music network is dedicated to perpetuating these kind of possibilities for future generations of UNC music students, because we know the difference they make in fostering lifelong musicianship.
What does Friends of Music do?
- Friends of Music supports the growth of UNC music programs and communities through financial support and relational connections. Gifts from our Friends go directly to student-centered initiatives such as the Concerto Competition, UNC Opera premieres, Pruett Summer Research Fellowships for graduate students, symposiums, guest artist residencies, and many more. Continued connection among our Friends, current students, and the Department builds a network of stakeholders that increases depth and reach of our musical impact.
Who can be a Friend?
- Friends are alumni, donors, and other supporters who invest in the Department through an annual donation of their choice. Support from Friends strengthens Department programs that directly benefit current UNC music students.
Why become a Friend of Music?
- Friends play an integral role in the vibrant musical life of our Department, and stay connected to Department news and events through dedicated Friends of Music email updates and social media. Friends of Music can also receive additional benefits and recognition by becoming Sustainers.
Who can be a Sustainer?
- A subset of our Friends of Music network, Sustainers make an annual donation of at least $100. Sustainers receive name recognition on our Music Honor Roll (posted on programs and our website), as well as an invitation to special events during the year.
How to join:
- Click here donate now!
- Click here to be added to the Friends of Music Facebook group!