“I’ve wanted to work in higher education for quite some time, and after spending time visiting UNC’s campus, I found that I always left inspired by the diversity and drive of the students that attend here, so being in a role that supports them provides me with a sense of fulfillment.”

Adrian Mendoza

The department is pleased to welcome Adrian Mendoza as the new Student Services Specialist! Adrian is a North Carolina native and comes to the department after working in the UNC Office of the University Registrar. His first day with the department was July 8.

In his position as Student Services Specialist, Adrian will assist with various student services within the department, including registration and enrollment actions, setting up each semester’s course schedule, and providing guidance to students regarding their enrollment, residency, leaves of absence, and graduate school policies.

“I’m very much a people person and having the opportunity to get to know students and support them on their journey at UNC excites me,” noted Adrian. “I’m also thrilled to have the opportunity to be part of such a wonderful team.”

Sid the catAdrian mentioned he has wanted to work in higher education for some time now. “After spending time visiting UNC’s campus, I found that I always left inspired by the diversity and drive of the students that attend here, so being in a role that supports them provides me with a sense of fulfillment.”

When not at work, Adrian loves to write, draw, listen to music, and anything that involves being in nature. “I dabble in photography from time to time, and love taking pictures of local wildlife,” he said. He also has a cat named Sid. “I’ve had him for about 4 years now, and we’re best buds.”

Though not a trained musician, Adrian discussed his love of music and that he has dabbled in guitar some. “I’ve picked up and put down guitar a few times, and I know a few basics, but never really got into fully learning how to play,” he said. “Although, it is something that interests me and I’m looking to pick back up again soon.”

A fun fact about Adrian that shows off his fun-loving personality is that during his time working at State Employees Credit Union, he was “enlisted” to don the Fat Cat costume, which is SECU’s mascot for kid accounts. “It was quite literally big shoes to fill, but I made it work,” joked Adrian.

You can find Adrian in his office just off the Hill Hall Rotunda (Hill Hall 105A) during business hours. Stop by and help welcome him to the department!