“Rather than getting stuck and giving up, MUSC 381 showed me first-hand how it can take weeks for an idea to truly blossom into a comprehensive song.”

Lindsay MeyerAlumna Lindsay Meyer, BA 2023 in Dramatic Art with a minor in Writing for the Screen and Stage, recently released her first single, titled “History.” During her time at UNC, Lindsay took MUSC 381 Analysis of Songcraft with Professor Jocelyn Neal. The course quickly became one of her favorites at Carolina and she credits her peers and Dr. Neal with bringing confidence to her songwriting.

“I loved watching Lindsay’s music grow and develop over the course of a semester, both from the work she did on her own and from the incredible collaborations she undertook with classmates,” wrote Dr. Neal. “Lindsay has so much to say through her music, and I got to watch her refine her songwriting craft to take her ideas from germination to a fully-formed song. One of the best parts of teaching is that the musical encounters I have with students don’t end when they graduate. I can’t wait to see what’s next for Lindsay!”

We caught up with Lindsay this past week to learn more about her process of releasing her first single, available now on all streaming platforms, and what’s up next for her.

UNC Music: What have you been up to since graduation?
Lindsay Meyer: Since graduating, I was lucky enough to spend one month traveling around the world and am now enjoying time in my home state of New York before moving cross-country this month.

UNC Music: Your first single, “History,” was just released! What was the process of recording and releasing this music?
LM: The recording of “History” came together somewhat miraculously. Since its inception, I knew I wanted to professionally record “History”. However, as a novice beginner in the realm of music production, I knew I couldn’t do it alone. As the school year came to a close, my friends and fellow MUSC 381 classmates (Duwe Farris, Thomas Fetter, and Bryce Black) connected me with a producer they had recently worked with. Luckily, Cole Covington was able to squeeze me in for a recording session at his Greensboro sound studio just two days before I left Chapel Hill for good. Over the summer, Cole and I collaborated back and forth on mixes, fine-tuning until we achieved a folk-pop blend. Since releasing “History”, I’m so happy to have original music out in the world and feel grateful to all the people who helped make this happen.

Every day I am grateful for my friends, classmates, and professors who encouraged me to own my songwriting.

History Cover imageUNC Music: This song was first workshopped in MUSC 381 Analysis of Songcraft with Dr. Jocelyn Neal. How did that class impact “History” and your songwriting in general?
LM: The funny thing is, I never thought I’d release original music. Despite writing my first song at age twelve, I’ve spent most of my life as a musician paralyzed by perfectionism, unwilling to share my ideas with others. Thankfully, MUSC 381 forced me out of my shell in what would easily become my favorite class at Carolina. Dr. Neal fostered within each of us a deep appreciation for the workshop elements necessary to grow as a songwriter. Her classroom was not only a safe space to share ideas, but a fun one; a room full of talented musicians with a variety of special skills made for an endless amount of opportunity within the creative process. Rather than getting stuck and giving up, MUSC 381 showed me first-hand how it can take weeks for an idea to truly blossom into a comprehensive song. After all, I only conceptualized my song’s hook “Thank God, that’s my history” after receiving feedback on my initial draft during a class workshopping session.

UNC Music: What’s next for you musically and in other professional endeavors? Is there an upcoming project you’re most excited about?
LM: Next week, I move to Los Angeles to pursue a career in television and film. I hope to work both behind and in front of the camera while also developing my love for music as much as possible in my free time. Ultimately, I plan to have more music released within the year. In terms of ongoing projects, I just finished the third draft of a screenplay I wrote for my minor’s capstone. I’m excited to explore ways in which I can share my love of screenwriting as I’ve done with my love of songwriting.

UNC Music: What piece of advice would you give to current UNC students hoping to record and release their own music?
LM: 1) Share your music and 2) Be proud of your music. This may sound easy, but it took me until my senior year to perform an original song at a gig in Chapel Hill. Only now can I look back and see how much I stood in my own way. It’s truly a shame if your original music lives and dies in the pages of your notebook. Every day I am grateful for my friends, classmates, and professors who encouraged me to own my songwriting. Without that community of support and network of fellow musicians, who knows how long “History” would have stayed in my Notes app?

Listen to “History” on Spotify:

Interview by Catherine Zachary, ’10