Eunho KimWe’re pleased to welcome Dr. Eunho Kim as a new lecturer of violin to the department! Originally from Korea, Dr. Kim will teach private lessons to UNC violin students. She has been an avid solo, chamber, and orchestra performer and a devoted pedagogue in SW Ohio, NW Iowa, South Dakota, and NE Ohio before moving to North Carolina this summer.

Dr. Kim has a Bachelor of Music from Seoul National University, two Master of Music degrees in Violin & Music Theory, and a Doctor of Musical Arts from the College-Conservatory of Music, University of Cincinnati.

We caught up with Dr. Kim to learn a little bit more about her and her hopes as a new professor at Carolina.

UNC Music: What is your favorite part of teaching (or what are you looking forward to most coming to UNC)?
Dr. Kim: I equally enjoy teaching all levels of violin playing from beginners to graduate-level students. Since each student is different, giving a lesson is not only about telling them what to do but also learning the specific needs of the student and finding together a way to improve. I believe that it is a learning and growing process for both the student and me, and I value the positive and rewarding feeling after each lesson hoping that the student feels the same. I look forward to working with the highly intelligent students at UNC and helping them bring their understanding of music & performance into the next level.

UNC Music: What is the project that you’re most excited about currently?
Dr. Kim: I have just moved to North Carolina this Summer with my family from Northeast Ohio. For now my body is trying to adjust to the weather(!!) and I am eager to find new chamber & orchestra opportunities in this area.

UNC Music: What are some of your non-musical hobbies?
Dr. Kim: It still is a musical activity, but I enjoy working with church music as an amateur choir singer/pianist/arranger. I also like playing ping-pong and singing karaoke, although ping-pong and karaoke don’t like me back.

UNC Music: If your students could learn one thing from you, what do you hope it will be?<
Dr. Kim: Let’s try to “understand” music-making with a critical and analytic mind, learning not only “what” to do, but also questioning and finding answers on “why” and “how.”

UNC Music: What music are you currently listening to?
Dr. Kim: A bit of everything: classical, jazz, old pop, K-pop, church music, etc.

UNC Music: Anything else you’d like students to know about you or your teaching?
Dr. Kim: I am just excited to work with you and make music together!

Eunho Kim