The best part about August is getting to see all of the returning students again and meeting all of the new students! We were thrilled to get to know the incoming class of Kenan Music Scholars during their audition process and are excited to introduce you to each of them now.

Monet JowersMonet Jowers, horn, and her beloved horn, Hubert Sibelius, are eager to join the music department at Chapel Hill this year.  Monet has been a Florida All-State Band member for five years.  She spent two summers in Vermont at the Kinhaven Music School, studying piano and horn under the instruction of Mimi Solomon and Carolyn Wahl.  She has a background in piano studies, and has performed as a piano concerto soloist with Space Coast Symphony and her high school orchestra.  In her senior year, Monet attended the University of North Carolina School of the Arts in the studio of Dr. Maria Serkin.  She played principal horn in the Winston-Salem Symphony Youth Orchestra and won an opportunity to perform as a concerto soloist.  Most recently, Monet and Hubert became first-place national winners in the MTNA Senior Brass Division.  Besides her music studies, Monet is pursuing a biology degree, and takes a keen interest in epigenetics, evolutionary biology, and personalized medicine.  Sīc sē dēdicāt, in ōtiō labōribus fidēque in Chrīstō.

I am Monet, a new horn player at UNC-Chapel Hill. A recent resident of North Carolina, I am grateful for the Kenan Music Scholarship which has allowed me to remain in this beautiful state at such an esteemed and welcoming university. Although the start may be slow this year, I am looking forward to chamber and orchestra opportunities especially!

Seungu Phillip KimSeungu (Phillip) Kim, tenor, is a first-year student from Las Vegas, Nevada. Seungu has studied classical voice for 3 years under LaDonna Young. In 2020, Seungu placed first at Music Teachers National Association (MTNA) state and regional level and proceeded to place third on the national level. In the summer of 2019, Seungu participated in the Northwestern University Bienen School of Music summer program (Intensive Vocal Performance Seminar). Additionally, Seungu has performed with multiple ensembles chosen by audition. In 2019, Seungu performed in the Carnegie Hall with the Honors performance series, and in 2018, he was part of the ACDA Western Division Choir held at Pasadena, California.

I chose Carolina because I believe that I would receive quality liberal arts education in addition to studying music. After hearing that many UNC students either double major or major and minor, I wanted to expand my education to something more than just music. I thought that Carolina would help me accomplish this the best. I also thought that being in an environment where I can push myself academically would also be beneficial for me. I am looking forward to meeting new people and many more extra curriculars that I can be involved in.

Frances Norton

Frances Norton, violin, is a first-year student from Chapel Hill, NC. Frances began studying violin at an early age and has studied with Dr. DiEugenio since high school. She has been actively involved in Mallarme Youth Chamber Orchestra and Triangle Youth Philharmonic throughout high school and was concertmaster of the Carrboro High School Orchestra. She attended Kinhaven Music School in summers 2017 and 2018 and studied with Klaudia Szlachta at Boston University Tanglewood Institute in the summer of 2019. Frances was the first place winner of the Music Teachers National Association North Carolina concerto competition in 2019. Frances will study violin performance and computer science at UNC.

One of the biggest reasons that I chose to go to UNC, was the encouragement that I got from faculty to double major. Knowing that so many other students at Carolina would be working towards two majors as well, I felt that I could take on the challenge of the extra work load. Additionally, during the audition process, we were able meet more faculty and students, who were very supportive and welcoming. Those interactions really solidified my want to attend UNC. This year, I’m excited to play with other students in chamber groups and orchestra!

Ryan Phillips

Ryan Phillips, clarinet, is a first-year student from Fairfax, Virginia. He has been playing the clarinet since fifth grade and studied with Kenneth Lee throughout middle school and high school. Ryan has played in wind ensembles, symphony orchestras, chamber groups, and theatrical pit orchestras. He has played in such groups as The Capitol Symphonic Youth Orchestra, Virginia Winds Academy’s Symphonic Winds, VBODA Senior Regional Orchestra, VBODA District XI All-District Symphonic Band, and VBODA All-Virginia Concert Band. He has participated in several solo competitions through the Northern Virginia Music Teachers Association and won the NVMTA Achievement Awards Competition in May 2019. At UNC, he is a member of Honors Carolina and is pursuing a second major in chemistry. Outside of performing, Ryan enjoys reading, watching and writing about films, and listening to the music of Beethoven and Mahler. He is very grateful for the opportunity to be a Kenan Music Scholar. Ryan is a student of Donald Oehler.

I am very excited to come to UNC! I chose Carolina for its balance of academic and musical rigor, as well as the spirited and welcoming community. I am excited to learn new music and make new friends, both in and out of the music department.

View all of the current Kenan Music Scholars and learn more about the KMS program here.