Today we get to know David Michaud, the University Bands administrator for the music department!

David began working with the department part-time in July 2019, he spends his mornings with the NC Botanical Garden before heading over to spend his afternoons in Hill Hall! On most days, you can find David in his office in the band suite, Hill 106.

He noted, “If I’m not there, I’m either in one of our storage spaces or walking to Cosmic Cantina.”

David’s work with the department revolves around all things marching band! He manages the database as students register for band, plans meals and other logistics for band camp in August, in addition to managing merchandise orders throughout the year.

David received his Bachelor of Arts in Music in 2016, and he’s wanted to come back to campus ever since! While a student at Carolina (and a member of the Marching Tar Heels!) David’s main instrument was the clarinet.

He did let us know that he also like to sing though and remarked that, “Fans of my singing include my shampoo bottle and folks stuck in rush hour traffic on I-40.”

On what drew him to the department and this position, David noted,

“There’s something special about being on campus, surrounded by so much talent and inspiration. The music department was my home as a student, so returning as a staff member has been a joy.”

If you visit David in his office, you’ll notice his extensive playbill collection on the window sill! “I’ve always been a fan of live music, and I recently got into Broadway, so I’m at DPAC or the Belk Theatre in Charlotte often for shows.”

Aside from live music and theater, David also enjoys hiking, bowling, reading, and browsing through antique shops and farmers markets.

Keeping him company during the stay-at-home orders is his cat, Sammy! “I adopted a cat named Sammy shortly after graduating. She loves stay-at-home orders and blankets!”

Sammy on David's lap.Sammy snuggled up with David.