Charanga Carolina reminds us with this performance of Ray Barretto’s “Indestructible” that together, we can do hard things. Together we will overcome.

Dear Charanga Carolina community,

I am very pleased to announce Charanga Carolina’s music video, “Indestructible” (Ray Barretto), which the ensemble recorded entirely remotely during the second-half of the spring semester, 2020, when most classes at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill went to remote instruction in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

We’ve seen and experienced tragic losses of life throughout the world. In addition our lives have changed in unprecedented ways, and in the season when we would be celebrating graduations together in-person, we still celebrate with students who have crossed a major milestone in their lives.

Charanga Carolina dedicates our recording and music video of Ray Barretto’s “Indestructible” to the Carolina graduating class of 2020. I want to sincerely thank my students: you all make directing Charanga the best part of my work at UNC! This video will be a wonderful and heartfelt emblem of our collective circumstances but most especially of what our graduating seniors Bobby Frith (electric guitar), Ben McEntire (timbales), KrĂ­ Schafer (voice), and Nick Sengstaken (saxophones) have accomplished in the face of unprecedented adversity.

I want to send my sincerest thanks to everyone who participated in the making of Charanga Carolina’s music video of “Indestructible.” I want to especially thank our guest dancers Corrine, Jamila, Thomas, Jessica, Keith, Nathan, and Leslie!! And thank you Betto Herrera of Mambo Dinamico for helping me recruit dancers for the video!

Enjoy!

David Garcia, Director