El FissehaToday we get to know El Fisseha, business manager for the music department!

El runs the business operations of the department, including finance and personnel management. On most days, you’ll find El in her office, Hill Hall 105C.

“I am a people person and love to chat. Feel free to drop by my office to say hello anytime!”

El joined the department as a student in 1999. El was a French horn major – and a member of the Marching Tar Heels! – but she’s also dabbled in violin, piano, trumpet, and djembe.

After graduating with her BA in Music in 2002, she began working for the UNC Bands full time in 2004. This past June (2019), she started her role as Business Manager.

When asked what brought her to the department, El said,

“Generally, the amazing people involved in the department drew me in. I immediately felt at home in Hill Hall. But Jeff Fuchs is the real reason I started working for the department. His commitment and devotion to the department, band program, and UNC Music students is inspiring and something I wanted to be part of.”

Outside of the department, El enjoys spending time with her husband of 17 years and three kids aged 14, 11, and 5! She loves hiking with her family, taking her pets on long walks, reading to her kids, and studying To-Shin Do Ninjutsu – the martial art of the ninja from ancient Japan. Yes, El is a ninja!

And speaking of pets, El has two dogs Abbi and Titan, her 14-year-old has two gerbils, Pikachu and Shinobi, and her 11-year-old has a beta fish, Sapphire.

Abbi
Abbi
Titan
Titan
Pikachu and Shinobi
Pikachu and Shinobi

Fun Fact:

My father is from Ethiopia and my and my children’s names are Ethiopian!