Incoming Music Students
Important Information for Incoming Music Students
- If you plan to take music theory at UNC this year, you will need to take the 45-minute Music Theory Diagnostic Exam either online during the summer, or at 9 a.m. Monday, August 22 in Kenan Music Building, Room 2131. (For students with a documented conflict, the exam will be given at the alternate time of 3:00 p.m., August 22 in Kenan Music Building, Room 2030.) This exam will determine whether you should enroll in MUSC 131: Theory I in Spring 2017 or in MUSC 121: Fundamentals of Music in Fall 2016.
Note: MUSC 131 is required for both the Bachelor of Arts in Music and the Bachelor of Music degrees.
A sample music theory diagnostic exam can be found here.
- BM students can sign up for the Piano Proficiency Exam by accessing the online form here. More information on the keyboard skills requirements and a sample keyboard exam are available here.
- Auditions for instrumental and voice lessons, and for ensembles will take place the first week of classes in August. Information about scheduling auditions will be available at the Music Department Orientation for First-Year and Transfer Students on Sunday, August 21 at 3 p.m. in Kenan Rehearsal Hall (Room 1201).
- MUSC 120 (Foundations in Music) is our gateway course for music students. It is only offered in the Fall semester and is required for the major (both Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Music) and the minor. If you are considering a music major, we recommend that you enroll in this course in your first semester.
Dates to Remember
- Sunday, August 21, 3 p.m., Kenan Rehearsal Hall (Room 1201) – Music Department Orientation for First-Year and Transfer Students
- Monday, August 22, 9 a.m., Kenan Music Building (Room 2131) – Music Theory Diagnostic Exam (if not taken online during the summer)
- Tuesday, August 23, 4-5 p.m., Kenan Rehearsal Hall (Room 1201) – Full Department Convocation
You’ll find a wealth of information about ensembles, private lessons, and many other topics on our website. If you have additional questions, however, don’t hesitate to contact the Department (email@example.com; 919-962-1039).