Next Level, an initiative of the U.S. Department of State and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, is looking for hip-hop artist-educators to participate in an international exchange program. In 2014–15, Next Level will take teams of artists to six countries—in Africa, Eastern Europe, and South Asia—to use hip-hop as a tool for cultural diplomacy and conflict resolution. Teams of four artists—a beat maker/producer, a DJ, a hip-hop dancer, and an MC—will spend 3–4 weeks teaching and performing in the host countries. All participants are paid a per diem and a modest honorarium; travel and lodging expenses will be covered.
Applicants must be:
- Outstanding performers with teaching experience
- Experienced in one or more of the following areas: Beat Making, DJing, b-boying/b-girling (or other forms of hip-hop dance), or MCing
- Able to commit to traveling abroad for 3–4 weeks in one or more countries
- United States citizens at least 21 years of age
- In possession of or able to obtain a U.S. passport
Applicants will be selected according to the following criteria:
- Artistic excellence and experience
- Teaching ability and experience
- Communication skills
- Potential to use music or dance to promote peace and conflict resolution
- Potential to thrive as cultural diplomats
Applicants should provide the following materials:
- A cover letter (1–3 pages) explaining the candidate’s suitability for the position, relevant experience, and teaching philosophy. Letters should also explain how the candidate would use his or her art to help promote peace and conflict resolution.
- A 2-page resume
- A list of 3–5 references with contact information. No recommendations should be sent at this time.
- A link to a creative work sample. The sample can be a recording or a video; for example, several tracks produced by the candidate, a video of a DJ or dance routine, or a Soundcloud link.
Submission and Information
All materials should be collected into a single PDF labeled with the candidate’s last name (e.g., Bambaataa.pdf) and sent to email@example.com.
Applications can also be mailed to Next Level, Department of Music, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, CB 3320, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3320.
Due Date: January 9, 2014.
Next Level is looking for creative, caring communicators who are committed to teaching young people to express themselves constructively through hip-hop and who are eager to showcase their talents to overseas audiences.
We look forward to hearing from you!