Jazz Studies Award and Other Funding
The UNC Jazz Studies Area has been gifted with an anonymous donation to provide funding for two $500 annual awards to be given to undergraduate students interested in creative activity and research in jazz studies. Students will design a project and submit a proposal abstract to the committee of Professors Stephen Anderson, David Garcia, and James Ketch (chair). The committee will review all submissions and select the strongest proposal. The award recipient will be announced at the annual spring concert of the UNC Jazz Band. The students will have a calendar year to complete the project and to submit a 1-2 page summary report. If appropriate, the Jazz Studies Area will create a public presentation for the students at the completion of their project.
Grant applications may request funding to support a singular or combination project selected from the following:
- Composition project.
- Recording project.
- Research-based project.
- Performance-based project.
- Specific program, workshop, festival, etc.
- Community Engagement project
- Mentorship program with a distinguished artist, composer, scholar, etc.
- Any undergraduate student involved in the study and/or performance of jazz at UNC is eligible to apply.
- A graduating senior may apply for this award in the spring of his/her final semester. If selected, he/she would be expected to submit a report one year later.
- Students must be full-time students at UNC, but they need not be music majors.
- Students must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 to apply.
- Students currently holding a research award or applying for other support are eligible to apply for the UNC Jazz Study Award.
- Students may receive this award a maximum of two times.
Proposals should be well-crafted and written using language that is suitable for an academic proposal. Please avoid language that is colloquial and not pertinent to the scope of the project. The following points should be addressed:
- Identify the purpose and scope of the project/research. How will the project help you to grow as an artist?
- How will the funding be utilized?
- Discuss how you will present your work at the final presentation once the project is completed.
- Proposals will be due on February 1, 2017.
- The recipient of the UNC Jazz Studies Award will be announced at the annual spring concert of the UNC Jazz Band.
Please contact Professors Anderson, Garcia, and Ketch with any questions.
- Stephen Anderson (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- David Garcia (email@example.com)
- James Ketch (firstname.lastname@example.org)